VMA(AW)-533 returned to Da Nang in the spring of 1972 and in June moved to Nam Phong in Thailand for operations over North Vietnam until the fighting ended in January of 1973. The Marine squadrons used Intruders not only to attack targets in North Vietnam, but also participated in Operation Pocket Money, the mining of North Vietnamese harbors undertaken in May of 1972. Eighteen USMC A-6As were lost in combat, with ten of these over North Vietnam.
VMCJ-1 and later VCMJ-2 introduced the EA-6A into combat in Vietnam as a replacement for aging EF-10B Skyknights. The Marine Corps made extensive use of the EA-6A, providing the type with its only front-line service. Initially, Navy use of the EA-6A was restricted to a couple of reserve Units and an EW aggressor squadron. With the Marine Corps, EA-6As operated alongside RF-4B Phantoms in composite squadrons VCMJ-1, -2, and -3 until 1975, when a decision was made to segregate the two types into different squadrons. All EA-6As were transferred to VMAQ-2, but some were later sent to the Reserve squadron VMAW-4. These units later transitioned to the EA-6B Prowler, and the EA-6As were transferred to the Navy squadrons VAQ-33, -209, and -309.
In 1990, the Marine Corps decided to relinquish its entire Intruder fleet in favor of the F/A-18D Hornet. However, the EA-6B will remain the USMC's main electronic warfare platform for years to come.
Operated A-6 Intruder until May 1990, when it was redesignated VMFA(AW)-121. Was first USMC squadron
to relinquish the Intruder.
Established January 15, 1968 as East Coast training squadron for A-6A and later A-6E. Also operated a
TC-4C Academe. Disestablished September 30, 1986, training responsibility for Marine Intruder crews being
transfered to Navy squadron VA-128.
During operations in Vietnam, was only USMC squadron flying carrier strikes, which it did from USS Coral Sea between
November 1971 and July 1972.. Participated
in Operation Cope Thunder in Philippines in 1988. Participated in Desert Storm. Transitioned to F/A-18D in 1993.
Disestablished June 30, 1991. VMFA(AW)-2225 "Vikings" was established July 1, 1991 with F/A-18D(CR) but does
not "own" the history of the Intruder unit.
First USMC squadron to receive the A-6A.
Transferred A-6Es to VA-128 December 1990 and began to acquire F/A-18D.
Operated A-6E. Converted to F/A-18D 1994.
Second Marine Corps unit to take the A-6A into combat, beginning in 1967. Acquired KA-6Ds in Novembver 1983. Participated
in Desert Storm. Converted to F/A-18D in 1995.
Main USMC reconnaissance/EW squadron during Vietnam war, operating the EA-6A and the RF-4B.
EA-6A was introduced into combat in vVietnam in 1966 as replacement for EF-10B. Disestablished
September 1, 1975, when RF-4Bs and EA-6As were consolidated into separate squadrons.
Established September 15, 1952 as VMC-2 . Redesignated VMCJ-2 December 1, 1955, which combined
VMC-2 and VMJ-2 into a single unit. Operated EA-6A for only
a brief time.
During Vietnam war, operated RF-4Bs and EA-6As, and on October 19, 1966 sent its first detachment
of EA-6As to Vietnam. EA-6A electronic warfare mission was quickly taken
over by VMCJ-1. VMCJ-2 became VMAQ-2 on July 1, 1975.
Established December 1955 as a composite squadron. Received EA-6As in early 1970s. All Ea-6As were consoliddated
within VMCJ-2 in 1975 and VMCJ-3 was redesignated VMFP-3 with RF-4B alone.
Established July 1, 1992 from Detachment X of VMAQ-2. Operates ICAP II EA-6B.
Operated EA-6A until receiving the first EA-6B February 17, 1977. Carrier-based detachments during
Operation Prairie Fire and El Dorado Canyon. Participated
in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Maintained 3 Prowler detachments (X, Y, and Z). Split in on July 1, 1992 to form VMAQs -1, -2, and -3.
Established July 1, 1992 from detachment Z of VMAQ when the later squadron was divided into three VMAQs. Flies
ICAP II EA-6B.
Narine Air Reserve squadron with EA-6A. In June 1991, called to active duty temporarily and replaced EA-6A with EA-6B Prowlers, deploying to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. Returned to Whidbey Island November 1991. Inactivated September 30, 1992 as a reserve squadron and reactivated October 2, 1992 as an active duty squadron and moved to MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina.