Last revised June 12, 1999
P-36A Ser No 38-174 was withdrawn from squadron service early in 1939
and fitted with four belt-fed 0.30-in machine guns in the wings. At
the same time, the fuselage mounted armament was changed to a pair of
0.5-in machine guns. Thus armed, the modified aircraft was
Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, Peter M Bowers, Naval Institute Press,
The Curtiss Hawk 75, Aircraft in Profile No. 80, Profile
Publications, Ltd. 1966
War Planes of the Second World War, Fighters, Volume Four, William
Green, Doubleday, 1961.
Air Enthusiast, Volume 1, William Green et al, Doubleday, 1971.