The first YF-16 (72-1567) was rebuilt in December 1975 to become the USAF Flight Dynamics Laboratory's Control Configured Vehicle (CCV). CCV aircraft have independent or "decoupled" flight control surfaces, which make it possible to maneuver in one plane without movement in another--for example, turning without having to bank.
The CCV YF-16 was fitted with twin vertical canards added underneath the air intake, and flight controls were modified to permit use of wing trailing edge flaperons acting in combination with the all moving stabilator.
The YF-16/CCV flew for the first time on March 16, 1976, piloted by David J. Thigpen. On June 24, 1976, it was seriously damaged in a crash landing after its engine failed during a landing approach. The aircraft was repaired and its flight test program was resumed. The last flight of the YF-16/CCV was on June 31, 1977, after 87 sorties and 125 air hours had been logged.