No. 311 Squadron of RAF Coastal Command had been formed in 1940 out of airmen who had fled from Czechoslovakia when the Germans took over that nation. This unit operated Liberator Mk.Vs between June 1943 and February 1945. The unit switched to Liberator Mk VIs in February of 1945. After the war in Europe was over, No. 311 Squadron began transport operations and opened up the first air routes into newly-liberated Czechoslovakia. The Liberator Mk VIs were withdrawn from No. 311 Squadron in January of 1946.